The mission of the Newfoundland Area Public Library is to provide a welcoming community space where one can freely access quality information and technology, explore ideas, collaborate with others, learn at any age, and find enrichment educationally, professionally, and personally.
The general goals of the Newfoundland Area Public Library shall be:
1. To serve any and all residents of the Wayne and Pike community and surrounding regions without discrimination.
2. To acquire and make freely available to the community such books, periodicals, pamphlets, digital materials, and other services as will address their needs to:
• Be informed
• Experience a variety of experiences, opinions, and perspectives
• Locate answers to questions
• Cultivate the imagination and creative expression
• Engage with the community
• Develop skills for career and vocational advancement
• Enjoy leisure by means of reading and other media services.
3. To provide the most frequently requested material locally and upon demand.
4. To protect the principles of intellectual freedom as outlined in the Library Bill of Rights.
5. To maintain a program service that provides quality information, topics of interest, education, and free or low-cost recreation to the community.
6. Encourage and provide opportunities for lifelong learning for all ages.
7. Provide Internet access, Internet-accessing devices, and Wi-Fi at no charge.
8. To strive constantly to discover new methods and improvements for better service for the library’s patrons.
9. To engage with community members, organizations, and institutions to better serve and improve quality of life in the greater Newfoundland area.
10. Provide a low-cost, safe community space for individuals and organizations to meet, explore, discover, learn, and engage.
11. To regularly review these goals if necessary and revise them in the light of new developments.
The Newfoundland Area Public Library (NAPL) is one of seven libraries associated with the Wayne Library Alliance (WLA). The other libraries are: Bethany Public Library, Hawley Public Library, Northern Wayne Community Library, Pleasant Mount Public Library, Hamlin Community Library, and Wayne County Public Library. With this shared library system, the NAPL is able to provide access to hundreds of thousands of materials to its patrons that it could not provide on its own.
The Newfoundland Library offers books (of course!) but also: